1707 Rochester

$378,500

1,775 + 621 SQ FT

$378,500

3+1 BEDROOMS

1+1 BATHROOMS

Single-Family

Built 1902

63x100x150x150

2-car Garage

HOA Fee: $0/yr

Special Features:

 

- Historic 1902 Farmhouse

- City View Dairy for 34 years

- Originally built in 1840's

- Pine floors

- Built-ins

- Wraparound front porch

- Brick character

- Curved driveway

- Meticulous landscaping

- Foyer

- Eat-in kitchen

- Pantry

- Sitting room/laundry

- Deck

- Patios

- New 2014 Carriage House and garage addition

- Carriage house features additional bedroom, bath, kitchen, living, gas fireplace, and dining area

- Fenced yard

1707 Rochester Court

Located in Bel Air

Enchanted with the Past

A Marvel that Once Was City View Dairy

 

 

 

With parts of its structure dating back to the 1840s, this home’s careful restoration projects and conscientious updates over the years and especially more recently, present a rare and inviting personality—a charming connection with the past that enhances the joy of daily living and entertaining.

 

Enjoyment begins with the special curb appeal of an original brick farmhouse topped by a standing-seam metal roof within city limits but handy to the area’s sought-after entertainment and dining amenities. The home’s pie-shape lot, its long curved driveway, garden areas, flowers, greenery and other meticulous landscaping add greatly to property’s “country get-away” ambiance and privacy. This makes for relaxing times outdoors, including on a large wraparound porch with fluted columns.

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

Passing through any of its several doors takes one back in time and seems to help shake away stresses of the day. Warm pine floors, built-ins, and details of convenience and character are to be found throughout the home.

 

Entry to the main level is through a casual foyer that opens to the large eat-in kitchen with a walk-in pantry. The kitchen has access to a sitting room/laundry and a deck overlooking the back yard.

 

Next is a sizable formal dining room that opens to the living room, which can be formally entered from the wraparound porch.  A third bedroom/study is also nearby.

 

 

 

 

 

Stairs to the farmhouse’s upper-level landing are from the kitchen.  The large landing upstairs has doors to the master bedroom, a third bedroom, and a full bath.

 

The home’s lower level or cellar, with interior and exterior access, provides generous storage space, houses the boiler and water heater, and allows for additional work space.

 

 

 

 

 

Cherishing a vintage home requires curiosity, creativity, and above all, respect for the good things the past has to offer.  It also takes energy and patience, and these have brought about the heartwarming results now awaiting the next proud owner of 1707 Rochester Court.

 

 

Carriage House

 

 

In 2014 construction of a carriage house was completed a few steps from the farmhouse.  A beautiful and vintage-complementary addition to the property, it provides an oversized two-car tandem garage with storage space and is topped by a delightful accessory living apartment.  The accessory loft-like space is complete with a full kitchen with laundry closet, a dining space, and a living area with a fireplace, all trimmed in white below a cathedral ceiling. At one side of the living area is access to a master bedroom and a full bath.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes on the Home’s History

 

Three years before the Iowa Territory became the 29th state in the Union, early settler Seth Williams sold what much later would become the City View Dairy property to Robert Hamilton.  In 1846 the Hamilton land became part of the United States of America, and it ownership was reconfirmed.  In the mid-1800s the original farmhouse for the land was built on a foundation of Stone City limestone. After a fire in 1902, the home was rebuilt in brick on that same foundation, and it remains there today.

 

From the time of the first purchase of the property that grew to become a 93-acre farm on the edge of the city, there have been more than 20 successive owners over 175 years.  Parallel with this timetable the Frederick and Elizabeth Irish family and their progeny lived less than a mile away at Rose Hill Farm, with a farmhouse also built of red brick. They and their progeny lived close by in that house until 1964, and seemed to be steady and good neighbors, even giving testimonials to assist with transfers of property in the chain of ownership eventually leading to City View Dairy.

(Side note of interest: The neighboring Irishes’ son John, born a year after the completion of Old Capitol, became a notable historic figure. He had become an Iowa City teacher at age 17 and then for two decades was editor of the Iowa City Press. While editor he became a widely known political figure and served as a Regent of the State University of Iowa and three terms representing Johnson County in the state’s General Assembly.)

 

In 1914, O.S. and Julia Barnes purchased the 93-acre farm from Jacob and Rosa Metzger (Jacob’s parents had immigrated from Germany), and established City View Dairy with its pastures and cluster of barns surrounding the brick farmhouse at 1707 Rochester Court. They helped provide milk for Iowa Citians for more than 30 years.

 

In 1939 O. S. Barnes died, and Julia Barnes continued to operate the dairy until 1948, when she sold the dairy herd, described in detail in Iowa City Press Citizen ad included.  She died in 1956 after naming her son, Fred, as trustee. Portions of the dairy farm were sold to several buyers, and in 1958 the dairy barns and other outbuildings had fallen into disrepair and were razed.

 

The remaining approximately 10 acres that included the farmhouse and property where other farm buildings had stood was sold in late 1959 to City Development Company, Inc., and later was transferred to the McCreedy family of builders. This resulted in construction in the 1960s of the homes that now populate Rochester Court, but the original farmhouse was preserved on lot 23, and was purchased in 1962 by Nancy and Gerald Buxton, who lovingly cared for the home for 47 years, and were the longest owners in the property’s chain of proud ownership. The late Gerald Buxton owned a prominent Iowa City insurance company and played tuba with five orchestras and bands. He and Nancy Buxton, a University of Iowa nursing graduate, raised a son and daughter at 1707 Rochester Court.

 

In 2010, the current owners moved into the Rochester Court farmhouse on Lot 23.  Research and resourcefulness took center stage as further enhancements began, carefully planned and carried out to complement this vintage property.  In 2014 this included the addition of a perfectly situated carriage house with charming accessory living space above a two-car tandem garage.

 

Rochester Court’s No. 1707 has seen thoughtful care for more than 175 years, and now awaits a next loving caretaker who will see and feel the past of this treasure, enjoy it for years to come, and one day present it to a future steward.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Art of Real Estate

Alan Swanson

Adam Pretorius

Tim Conroy

Contact Info

P. +1 (319) 321-3129

Contact Info

P. +1 (319) 400-2741

Contact Info

P. +1 (319) 321.3679

FREE HOME EVALUATIONS - CONTACT US BELOW

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

BLANK & McCUNE The Real Estate Company   |   506 E College St Iowa City

Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed  |   Licensed to sell real estate in the state of IA